Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Aprons...the modern cooks cape!

A cook without an apron is like Superman without his cape!  When I step into the kitchen and dawn my apron...my inner cook is unleashed and food magic happens! 

 I know aprons are not a necessary tool in the kitchen, like a pot or pan.  But I do believe that they are one of those fun gadgets, like a lemon zester or melon baller, that liven things up!

Aprons go back to forever ago...literally.  I read once that Adam and Eve's fig leaf attire was technically the first "apron"...and maybe so.

Today's aprons are not your mom's frumpy plaid get-up.  There are sassy, chic, handmade, dressy, plain, funny, retro, and even vintage ones.  It's like grown-up dress-up!  I can be lounging in my sweats, hair in a ponytail, and no make-up...but when I put on my v-neck purple and zebra stripe "dress" apron, SUDDENLY I feel like I am dressed for a night on the town in some big city, dining at a 4-star restaurant with a 6 month waiting list, sipping on expensive wine and eating French food that  I cannot pronounce...when I am interrupted with "mom what's for dinner?" Reality hits me and I once again go back to cooking dinner for 6.  But for a moment I was there!

We lived far from my grandparents and I don't have any memories of them wearing their aprons like old ladies were supposed to do, but sometimes I pretend they did.  It's part of my "normal family" fantasy.   My mom doesn't wear an apron either.  But she LOVES to do laundry.  I think that hunting and searching for ALL of those little grease splatters on her shirts is a game for her.  Maybe it's therapeutic.  For me...not so much!  Laundry ranks #2 right under dishes

Aprons are like bacon grease...very practical! 
They obviously have covered women's clothing for centuries
But they are so much more than that...
They are pot holder in a pinch, a towel for dirty hands, a makeshift bucket to carry food or trash (but not trash then food cause, well, that's just gross).  They wipe kids tears, or clean dirty little faces.  You would simply be amazed at how much an old apron can dust in a matter of seconds upon the arrival of unexpected company!  They are a rite of passage in some homes. 

So many occupations are recognized by a uniform...this is the "at home cook" uniform.  The symbol that states..."I have done 40 bazillion things today and I STILL made dinner"  "I am cook, hear me sizzle!" 

Aprons and bras were abandoned back in the "women's lib." days.  And though I was not around then, I am eternally grateful that Aprons have made a come back...but I am so much happier that it's okay to wear a bra!  There are those out there that missed that memo...to them I say..."The girls don't have to be free for you to be!" 

We have come a long way since "the movement" and even longer since the picturesque housewife days of the 50's.  But somethings never change..like hungry husbands and kids.  So my suggestion to you is TRY ONE!  You never know...you might feel a little prettier, or a little more creative.  You may have super powers you never knew before you owned a "cape," AND your husband might even think it's sexy!!!

3 comments:

  1. You are after my heart! I have been on the hunt for matching cute aprons. My granma gave Elizabeth some that her grandmother wore so it's cute for her, but I want one really cute and hip! You have me on a mission now. BTW I love reading your blog. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got matching aprons from B'Lou Shimon...she makes them homemade and they are SOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you on the aprons. I try to get one from every place I visit...hawaii, vegas, san fran, mexico,louisiana,etc along with a cookbook. Also gotta have the special occasion aprons...birthday, christmas, turkey day, etc. And the pretty aprons that make you feel good. (Catherine has one with fur around the bottom. I love it and have hinted but will she give it to her dear sweet mom??? Nope.) And the sassy aprons that show your personality that day like 'Don't make me poison your food'. And of course a Texas apron cuz everything is bigger and better in Texas so we might as well brag about it. Go to the antique store and get a vintage apron. No, my mom didn't wear one either but Beaver Cleaver's mom did and so did Aunt Bea on Mayberry RFD and everybody loved both of them.And then get a handful of plain old working aprons to use when you are frying greasy stuff so you don't get grease stains on the nice aprons. Now maybe some of you can cook without getting dirty. Not me. Cooking is a hands on , belly up to the bar (counter) activity that requires an apron. Just my opinion. Besides, people who wear aprons are easy to buy for on their birthday and Christmas. Get them an apron...throw in a cookbook. You can't go wrong. And if anyone is ever in Austin and sees one that says "Keep Austin wierd", buy it for me. Don't know why I want one that says that, I JUST DO.

    ReplyDelete