Friday, March 18, 2011

"Ode to Bacon Grease"

GASP....SHOCK....AWE!  Yes I said BACON GREASE!  This pleasing pork product is a staple in my kitchen.  I know that I am not alone in stashing this dirty little flavor arsenal...heck, they sale containers devoted to storing the stuff!  I know...because I have one...and so does my mom. 



My siblings AND my best friends also save it, but they use coffee cups I think...hey, that's a good Christmas idea...I'll have to jot that down somewhere so I can forget where I put it later.
 Anywho...back to bacon. 
If you are serious about cooking with me you're gonna have to have some available.  Why no one has packaged it for sales I have NO idea...with all of the pre-cooked bacon on the market there has to be barrels of grease just being wasted...what a shame!  Point being, you have to make your own.  It entails frying some bacon & pouring the drippings in a container (NOT PLASTIC)...tedious I know.  You can store the grease in the fridge, or like me, just put it in the cabinet til you're ready to use it!  As far as the bacon that you've just made goes...eat it, freeze it, chop it up into bits...whatever tickles your fancy!
What could all this grease be used for you ask...

Bacon grease flavors many of my veggies. I fry my potatoes in it.... 

*Here's a little bacon grease factoid:  Did you know that if you boil potatoes, put a Tbs. of grease in the water and it won't overflow?!  I KNOW...GENIOUS!!! 

I fry my eggs in it.  I cook my pancakes with it.... 

*Another factoid:  Did you know that if you drizzle a dab of bacon grease on your dogs food, his coat will become shinier?! Hmmm...who knew!

 It's the base for my cream gravy.  I wilt a salad with it (on purpose). The list just goes on and on and on!

You didn't know bacon grease was so versitile did ya? 

We won't get into the details of whether it's good for you, will it make you fat, is it going to clog your arteries...because frankly I am not a Dr. and I have no idea.

I will simply leave you with this bit of advice...SOME THINGS ARE WORTH THE RISK!! :-)
(or the extra 1/2 mile walk...if you're "that" sort)

2 comments:

  1. Oh YUMMMMM...from one crazy cook to another, we love our butter and our bacon grease!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the coffee cup technique! My mom has always saved the bacon grease!! It makes everything taste better!

    ReplyDelete