Sunday, February 27, 2011

Shrimp Fettucini Alfredo

"What do you want for dinner tonight?" OR "What's your favorite thing that mommy makes?"  Either of those questions will generate the same response from Ani Pate...FETTUCINI ALFREDO!  Now, I don't know who this "Alfredo" guy is, or why they named a sauce after him and paired it perfectly with pasta...but I'm glad his momma had him!  My family all but licks their plate when finished with dinner (I am fairly certain that some of them have when I'm not looking)!

I am not a big fan of jarred alfredo sauce so I am super excited to let you in on this recipe.  It's mega easy and the flavor difference is well worth the LITTLE extra effort.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 


Please note:  We eat this with shrimp, but you can substitute chicken or no protein at all.

The following is your list of ingredients:

 

GASP!  I almost forgot the garlic



16oz pkg of long pasta (I know it is called "fettucini" but use whatever you have handy, it will still taste that same...I PROMISE...I had linguini)
1lb shrimp
8oz cream cheese
1 stick + 2tbsp butter
1 cup shredded parmesean cheese
2 cups half & half
1 1/2 cups milk
1 lg garlic clove (chopped fine)
splash of wine (red or white...either works great)


Let's get started by putting a pot of water on to boil...be sure to add a palm full of salt and a couple of tbsp of oil to the water.  Salt flavors the pasta, while the oil keeps it from sticking together.


Wash your shrimp and chop them into thirds




Chop the garlic.
 I am also taking this opportunity to introduce you to one of my favorite cooking utensils.  This handy little scraper "thing" is PERFECT for transferring from cutting board to pan!  It also has a ruler on the edge to enable you to cut ingredients exactly...I have NEVER used this feature...and I don't intend to!  I also use it when working with dough...either to cut it or to help lift it from the rolling surface!  Okay....back to alfredo!




Toss in the 2 tbsp of butter and let it get all hot and melty!  MMMM!  Now add the garlic, stir around, and take deep breaths because this smells sooooo good!  Cook on medium heat until the garlic is soft.


Add the splash of wine.  I am not a teaspoon/measuring cup kind of girl so bear with me!  I would estimate about 3tbsp.  Have no fear of adding too much wine...any juice left over is going straight into the sauce and I have never had a sauce with too much wine!


Toss in the shrimp!  Helpful hint:  Always dry your meat/poulty/seafood before cooking...it helps the meat get a good sear!  Season with salt and pepper.



I bet your water is boiling right about now!  Add the pasta to the boiling water and give it a good stir making sure the water is covering all of the pasta.


The shrimp are ready!  You know this because they are no longer white/opaque...they are pretty in pink!  
Remove them from the heat and set them aside.


Time for your free facial!  Drain your pasta and run a little cool water over them to stop the cooking process.  Please note: NO MUSHY NOODLES PEOPLE!  Set the pasta aside.  Place the empty pot back on the stove...using the same pot means less dishes!


Let's get saucy!  Place the butter in the pot on med high heat.


While it's melting...cut up the cream cheese.


Put it in the pan with the melting butter


Time for CHEESE!!!  Yay Cheese! 



If my kids weren't already hovering in the kitchen...they are here NOW!  Start stirring (whisking).  DO NOT add the cream until these 3 ingredients are completely melted.  Note:  the butter may stay a little separated from the 2 cheeses...this is okay! 


NOW you can add the cream.  Whisk until heated through.  Add the milk.  Season with salt and plenty of black pepper.  Keep heating and wisking until nice and bubbly.  If the sauce is too thick, add more milk until it reaches desired consistancy.  If it is too thin, keep cooking...it will thicken. 


Add the cooked shrimp along with all of the juices that they cooked in!  Mmmmm!


Add the pasta back into the pot.


Give it all a good stir and continue to heat until the shrimp and pasta are back up to temperature, about 3 minutes. 
Serve with bread and cesar salad!







2 comments:

  1. Sister, this looks delicious! I will have to be making this soon! I'm like you, I don't like the alfredo sauce in a jar! Can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! I am so going to put this on my menu next week. Dave loves chicken alfredo but we too hate the jarred crap. SOOOO excited to try this and so will the family (as my kids are new shrimp fans, YAY for me not being alone).

    ReplyDelete