Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sausage Rolls

Who loves breakfast for dinner??  I DO!!  Oh man have I found the recipe for all of my fellow BFD fans!  This dish has all of the elements of something "fancy" from a restaurant but easy enough to make at home!  Warning to all of those Pastry Panic-er's...you do have to make a biscuit dough BUT I promise it is not as complicated as you make think...cross my heart!  You CAN do this...and strut around with pride when you do...I give you permission!!

    

I introduce to you your supplies for this project:
+ 2 sticks of butter (again  I forgot it in the photo)

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING...set out one stick of butter to come down to room temp....leave the other in the refrigerator until time to use it...I will tell you when don't worry!! 

2 lbs breakfast sausage (if your family can handle spicy - GO FOR IT...mine can't so I use mild)
3 c. mozzarella cheese
1 "wedge" of asiago cheese - I had to have our local supermarket order the asiago...which they will do if you ask!  Whatever you do...don't leave it out, it  really does make a difference in this dish! 
1 c pesto (make your own if you have time...buy it if you don't...no one will know but you!)
5 c flour
3 tbs baking powder
"about" 2 1/2 c milk
2 sticks of butter (one room temp - one cold)
1 onion
1 red bell pepper
2 roma tomatoes
1 c sliced mushrooms


Start de-Pinking the Pig...or brown the sausage


While the sausage is cooking...go ahead and chop the veggies!  Keep the tomatoes separate because they won't cook as long as the others.


If you have a sous chef hangin' around put 'em to work!  I have been told that they don't stick around for long so take advantage!  Plus...it's "funner" to have someone cooking with you!  OH and say hi to Adriaan...he is waving at you back there!

This is where the picture of the browned sausage SHOULD be...but that's just not as visually appealing as this one!  Now that the sausage is done, set it aside to cool.

Here we dough...er...go!  Time to make the biscuit dough.  Break out the flour!


Add the baking powder...

NOW get the 2nd stick of butter out of the fridge...cut it up and throw it in with the flour and b. powder.  I can't photograph this stage of the game since both of my hands are occupied, but you want to work the butter into your dry ingredients breaking it into smaller pieces as you go.  It should be "crumbly" at this point.  Go ahead and add the milk...1/2 cup at a time.  The dough should be moist but not mega sticky...i.e. you should be able to handle it without it leaving dough on your fingers.  If you accidently add too much milk just add more flour to adjust.

See!  Wasn't that easy?!


Flour a large area and pre-heat the over to 375*


Yup!  I put her back to work! 

Roll out your dough in a "rectangle"...about 18" x 12"...idk...I didn't measure!!  Then spread the room temp. butter ALL over it!!  NOW it's starting to get good!!

Now the pesto...this is where Ani bailed on me.  Something about the "green" of the pesto! 

Place the Pork!

CHEESE!  CHEESE!  CHEESE!  Mmmmmmm!!! Peek-a-boo....oh sorry...I was talking to Adriaan back there again!


Time to rock & ROLL!  Start at one long end and roll to the other!

Make sure you pinch the end to seal in all of that yummy goodness!

Cut off the immediate ends of the roll and discard.  I have a super high-tech way to measure these rolls...I use my hand!  Hold the roll like a handle bar and where your hand ends...CUT...hold the next section...CUT.  If this is too complicated for you just eyeball it!! 

Put each roll on the cookie sheet, press them down lightly, and pop 'em in the oven for 20-30 min. (until golden brown)

While those are baking we're gonna cook the veggies.  Melt 2tbs butter in the same skillet you cooked the sausage (less dishes)

Remember...don't add the tomatoes yet!  I added some italian seasoning to mine...you can add whatever suits your buds tonight

Throw in the tomato with about 2 minutes of cooking time left...we are only heating them through!  When the rolls are done, put them on the plate and place a spoonful of veggies on top!

TA DA!!!  (I plated the rolls with some over-easy eggs)  Soooo yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment