Friday, June 3, 2011

Chicken "Schnitzel"


Has anyone else gotten caught up in this "extreme couponing" whirlwind?? I had heard of it in passing, and since I cook enough for 8 every night I am constantly seeking some way to save money ESPECIALLY on my grocery bill. Well, Ian and I caught our first episode of "extreme couponing" the other night. While I was fascinated by all of the things they got for free like 1000 tubes of toothpaste, and 114 bottles of excedrine pm...the one that stood out most to me was the 97 packages of croutons this lady got. Seriously? Who needs 97 packages of crountons for God's sake?! And because my mind works the way it does, I was up at several different intervals that night trying to imagine what all you could do with croutons. Then it hit me...BREADCRUMBS!! Butter and garlic croutons would make pretty darn good breadcrumbs. DUH!
Now, what can I do with breadcrumbs?? SCHNITZEL!!!! My family loves schnitzel...which is a chicken breast pounded out flat, breaded, and pan fried. I typically would use italian breadcrumbs but today...today I used croutons!! This dish is SUPER easy and weeknight friendly!!
I will apologize in advance for the lack of step by step pics but I was 1/2 way done with dinner when I remembered "I should blog!"


Here's what you need:

1 pkg garlic butter croutons
1/2 c shredded parmesean cheese
2 eggs
chicken breast (pounded to approx. 1/4 in)
olive oil
salt
Start by pounding the chicken flat. I always put my chicken in a baggie to keep the chicken bits from flying all over my kitchen. Start in the thickest part of the breast and work your way out. I use the flat side of a meat mallet, you could use a rolling pin or maybe a cast iron skillet. This is a great meal to make after a particularly frustrating day...you can just take it out on the chicken...it doesn't care!!

Now you can beat up on the croutons! Put them in a baggie...different than he chicken baggie!! Pound them into "breadcrumbs!"

Put the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and add the parmesean cheese.

Crack the eggs into a second shallow dish and beat them as well...wow...this really is a violent dish!

Pour about 2tbs of olive oil into a skillet and get it nice and hot.

While that is heating...dip your chicken in the eggs.

 Then coat well with the breadcrumbs.

Because we have pounded the chicken out so thin the cooking process is just a few minutes on each side.

I wipe out my skillet between batches because the cheese tends to burn if left for too long and I don't want that on my perfectly brown chicken!!

You will have to add oil to each batch.

I served mine tonight on a really great salad with gruyere cheese and sunflower seeds, but in he winter it is lovely with pasta and a pesto cream sauce. I'll make that on another day!

While I am still not sure that anyone needs 97 bags of croutons...I guess if they're free...who cares! BUT...that's ALOT of schnitzel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment