Tuesday, April 26, 2011

BACON pralines!!

FINALLY...something sweet on the 3a.m. site!!  But of course...it had to have BACON!!  BACON BACON BACON BACON BACON!! 
Sorry...I just had to get that out!  I'm better now!  BACON!  Just kidding! 
Now I am not a big fan of pralines, however, if you add bacon to the mix...I'm game!  These are incredible!  Creamy, crunchy, sweet, bacon-ee!  So so so good!
This is a "candy" and it does call for a candy thermometer.  This is a VERY simple recipe so please please please do not be intimidated!  I'll tell you a secret...I couldn't find my candy thermometer so I used the bbq thermometer I had and it didn't go high enough to be "accurate"...but I love a good challenge!  


Candy components:

2c + 3 tbs brown sugar
5 tbs butter
1lb thick cut bacon
1 1/4 c roughly chopped pecans
1/2 heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt

Pre-heat oven to 400*  Place the bacon on a foil lined, rimmed cookie sheet.  This is not my typical bacon cooking style but it works really well and I think I might take it up!  You still get all of the grease but without the mess AND it stays flat...I usually break out a coffee cup to put on top as I cook it...I'm slightly OCD!  It will take about 20 minutes.  While that's cookin...


Let's melt some budda!  I like my men like I like my butter...smooth, whipped, and stickin to my butt...hmmm...nevermind!
Add the brown sugar.  I like my men like I like my sugar...tan, sweet, and full of molasses...oh wait...nevermind!! 
Now cream and salt...I like my men like I like my salt...white, salty, and square...OK maybe not...nevermind! 
Let this get all melty and marry together in the sauce pan.  This is love! 

The best part of making candy is... once it is combined...you just let it bubble and do it's thang!  Don't forget the thermometer...if you have a candy one..then you want the temp. to reach 236*.  NOT 235* or 237*...236!!  Naw...I'm just kidding...I have no idea what temp mine got to...remember??  But really...as close to 236* as you can get, I do recommend a candy thermometer.

While that is fallin in love...roughly chop your nuts and check on your bacon.  Once the bacon is cooked...roughly chop it as well.
When the caramel has reached the "right" temp. turn it off and let the temp. come down to 220*.  Fold in the pecans and bacon.
Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper or waxed paper. 

THAT'S IT!!  YOU DID IT!!  YOU MADE CANDY!!  YAY!!  Wait about 30 minutes for them to set...it's sooo hard to resist the urge to just shovel one in your mouth...but you just made candy, that means you can do anything!!  Serve these up to your company or give them away at holidays...everyone will think you are superwoman and only you and I will know how easy that just was!! 

BTW:  I like my men the way I like my bacon...SIZZLING HOT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment