Saturday, August 20, 2011

Grown-Up Grilled Cheese

Ahhh...the simplicity of a good 'ol grilled cheese sandwich.  Maybe I'm just a big kid, but I still LOVE a grilled cheese.  Quick, easy, CHEESY...what's not to love? 
This recipe is like...a grilled cheese grew up, went to college, got a job, and BOUGHT A WHOLE NEW WARDROBE! 
Yep...it's THAT good!


Grillin' Groceries for 6 sandwiches:

*1/2 pkg. mild cheddar cheese
*1/2 pkg. mozzerella cheese
*1/2 pkg. colby jack cheese
*Sourdough bread
*2 Ribeye steaks (I am highly recommending that you use a really good cut of meat, it does make a big difference.  A little goes a long way and it's a great way to splurge even if you're on a budget.)
*REAL butter for grilling the steaks (NO EXCEPTIONS!!!)
*Butter or Margarine for the sandwiches (whatever floats your boat)


Generously salt and pepper the steaks...

Melt 2 pats of butter on a griddle or in a skillet until nice and HOT HOT HOT!

Start the steaks.  My mom cooked steak in a cast iron skillet in butter my whole life.  I don't think I had a grilled steak until I was a teenager!  She always got that far off look in her eyes and would tell how her dad used to cook steak like this...sweet memories.  She also said that the fat was one of the best parts of the steak...it took many many years for me to agree with that...I now tell my kids the same thing and they give me the same look I'm sure I gave my mom.  Sorry mom! ;)

While those are getting nice and seared (only 2-3 minutes per side)...mix the cheese together in a large bowl.

Mmmm...look at that!  If only you could know how good it smells in here!  Let these rest for at least 5 minutes...we want all of the juices to redistribute, plus, they are too hot to handle right now!

Thinly slice against the grain (not paper thin, just normal thin) :)

Let's assemble..cover one side of bread with the cheese mixture....don't be stengy!  If this were an new wardrobe, I guess the sourdough slice would be a new pair of pricey shoes and the cheese would be a new pair of designer jeans!

Add steak...a new cashmere sweater!


MORE cheese...new diamond necklace

Top with the other slice of bread...can you say FACELIFT?!

Butter one side, put it on the griddle butter side down, and butter the other side.

A cast iron press would be perfect right now BUT I only have a cast iron skillet.  It'll do!  Put the skillet on each sandwich and press down for a few moments.  Grill each side to a golden brown.

See kids...this is what happens when you get a good education!

What's better than a gussied up grilled cheese...a gussied up grilled cheese with homemade creamy spicy tomato soup.  I will blog that recipe as the winds pick up and the leaves change their color.  Oh the anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment